NBS releases Road Transport Data (2016) – 11,363 road crashes recorded…

0

The 2016 road transport data reflected that 11,363 road crashes occurred in the year 2016. Speed violation is reported as the major cause of road crashes in 2016 and it accounted for 33.86% of the total road crashes reported. Loss of control and dangerous driving followed closely as they both accounted for 15.43% and 8.53% of the total road crashes recorded.

 


A total of 30,105 Nigerians got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded in 2016. 28,250 of the 30,105 Nigerians that got injured, representing 94% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 1,855 Nigerians, representing 6% of the figure are children. 22, 705 male Nigerians, representing 75%, got injured in road crashes in 2016 while 7,400 female Nigerians, representing 25%, got injured. Similarly, a total of 5,053 Nigerians got killed in the road traffic crashes recorded in 2016. 4,696 of the 5,053 Nigerians that got killed, representing 93% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 357 Nigerians, representing 7% of the figure are children.

 

3, 9 70 male Nigerians, representing 79%, got killed in road crashes in 2016 while 1,083 female Nigerians, representing 25%, got killed. Total vehicle population in Nigeria in 2016 was put at 11,387,185. Commercial vehicles accounted for 53.8% of the total vehicle population in Nigeria in 2016, private vehicles accounted for 44.5%, government vehicles accounted for 1.65 and diplomat vehicles accounted for 0.1%. With the total population of the country puts at 193,392,517 in 2016, Nigeria’s vehicle per population ratio is put 0.06.

 

Data on the category of vehicles involved in road crashes in 2016 reflected that 56.6% of vehicles are commercial (8,876), 41.6% are private (6,521), 1.70% are government (270) and the remaining 0.10% are diplomat (15). FCT Recorded the highest number of road crashes in 2016 and closely followed by Kaduna and Niger States while Borno and Bayelsa States recorded the least.

A total of 889,834 national drivers licenses were produced in 2016. Lagos and FCT produced the highest number of drivers’ licenses while Yobe and Zamfara States produced the least numbers of national drivers’ license. Similarly, a total of 462,395 vehicle number plates were produced in 2016. Lagos and FCT produced the highest number of vehicle plate numbers while Yobe and Zamfara States produced the least numbers of vehicle plate numbers in 2016.

Click here to download the full report in PDF version….

 

 

Share this!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons