In a report by the World Economic Forum (WEF), Nigeria has been ranked the 8th least competitive country to visit (Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index – 2017 edition)
The report ranked 136 countries on their Business Environment, Safety and Security, Health and Hygiene, and International Openness, among other metrics.
While Nigeria ranked 84th under Business Environment and 61st under Cultural Resources and Business Travel, she also ranked 132nd under Safety and Security, and 132nd in Health and Hygiene.
- International tourist arrivals – 1,255,000
- International tourism inbound receipts – US $403.9 million
- Average receipts per arrival – US $321.8
- T&T industry GDP – US $8,282.8 million (% of total – 1.7%)
- T&T industry employment – 650,836 jobs (% of total – 1.6%)
Sources: World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) and World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC)
|Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Edition||2015||2017|
|Rank||131 / 141||129 / 136|
*Scores are on a 1-to-7 scale unless indicated otherwise. For detailed definitions, sources, and periods, consult the interactive Country/Economy Profiles and Rankings at http://wef.ch/ttcr
The top 10 least competitive countries to visit are:
- Congo, Democratic Rep.
- Sierra Leone.