According to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) report for the month of February 2021, the average fare paid by commuters for journey by motorcycle per drop increased by 2.86% month-on-month and by 97.68% year-on-year to N266.74 in February 2021 from N259.33 in January 2021.
Further analysis revealed that states with the highest journey fare by motorcycle per drop were:
- Taraba – N436.20
- Yobe – N425.02
- Kogi – N400.12
While states with the lowest journey fare by motorcycle per drop were:
- Adamawa – N86.47
- Katsina – N140.12
- Kebbi – N155.90
The Transport fare watch report for February 2021 covers the following categories namely bus journey within the city per drop constant route; bus journey intercity, state route, a charge per person; airfare charge for specified routes single journey; journey by motorcycle (Okada) per drop; and waterway passenger transport.
Other highlights of the Transport fare Watch report
- The average fare paid by commuters for bus journey within the city increased by 2.60% month-on-month and by 78.08% year-on-year to N361.31 in February 2021 from N352.15 in January 2021.
- States with the highest bus journey fare within the city were Zamfara (N620.15), Bauchi (N530.10) and Ekiti (N475.25) while States with the lowest bus journey fare within the city were Oyo (N190.45), Abia (N208.55) and Borno (N250.72).
- Average fare paid by commuters for bus journey intercity increased by 1.13% month-on-month and by 39.85% year-on-year to N2,372.87 in February 2021 from N2,346.41 in January 2021.
- States with the highest bus journey fare intercity were Abuja FCT (N4,500.88), Sokoto (N3,350.60) and Lagos (N3,340.60) while states with the lowest bus journey fare within the city were Bayelsa (N1,650.32), Bauchi (N1,690.80) and Enugu (N1,700.00).
- Average fare paid by air passengers for specified routes single journey decreased by -0.02% month-on-month and increased by 17.97% year-on-year to N36,458.11 in February 2021 from N36,463.65 in January 2021.
- States with the highest air fare were Delta/Lagos (N38,600.00), Anambra/Bayelsa (N38,500.00), Bauchi (N38,400.00) while States with the lowest airfare were Akwa-Ibom (N32,500.00), Sokoto (N33,600.00), and Gombe (N35,000.00).
- The average fare paid by passengers for water way passenger transport increased by 1.00% month-on-month and by 39.63% year-on-year to N794.02 in February 2021 from N786.19 in January 2021.
- States with the highest fare by waterway passenger transport were Rivers (N2,299.35), Delta (N2,280.33) and Bayelsa (N2,258.49) while states with the lowest fare by waterway passenger transport were Borno (N240.55), Gombe (N297.23) and Abuja FCT (N340.22).