The FGN Savings Bond for July 2017 kicks off today.
Details are as follows;
- To deepen the national savings culture.
- To provide opportunity to all citizens irrespective of income level to contribute to National Development.
- To enable all citizens participate in and benefit from the favorable returns available in the capital market.
- To diversify funding sources for the Government.
- Interest income is paid quarterly directly into bond holder’s account.
- The Bond is acceptable as collateral for loans by banks and can be sold for cash in the secondary market before maturity.
- Good for savings towards retirement, marriage, school fees, house projects, etc.
- Safety: backed by the full faith and credit of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
Investors are to subscribe through stockbroking firms trading on the floor of The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) and accredited by the DMO to act as Distribution Agents. (Please visit www.dmo.gov.ng for the list of accredited Stockbroking Firms).
About FGN BONDS:
FGN Bonds are debt securities (liabilities) of the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) issued by the Debt Management Office (DMO) for and on behalf of the Federal Government. The FGN has an obligation to pay the bondholder the principal and agreed interest as and when due. When you buy FGN Bonds, you are lending to the FGN for a specified period of time. The FGN Bonds are considered as the safest of all investments in domestic debt market because it is backed by the ‘full faith and credit’ of the Federal Government, and as such it is classified as a risk free debt instrument. They have no default risk, meaning that it is absolutely certain your interest and principal will be paid as and when due. The interest income earned from the securities are tax exempt.