Third Quarter Financial Results
- Total revenue of $397.8 million declined 4% on a reported and 5% on a constant currency basis compared to third quarter 2016.
- Third quarter money transfer revenue was $356.8 million, representing a decrease of 3% on a reported basis and a decrease of 5% on a constant currency basis as compared to prior year. Money transfer revenue results were impacted by softness in the U.S.to U.S. market and macroeconomic issues in Africa, partially offset by the translation impact of the strengthened euro.
- Moneygram.com grew 23% fueled by new customer acquisitions. Total Digital money transfer revenue grew 6% over the prior year as strong moneygram.com growth was partially offset by additional compliance requirements and global economic trends. Digital represented 15% of total money transfer revenue.
- Investment revenue increased $3.1 million versus last year due to higher yields earned on investment balances.
- Operating income was $23.3 million, a decrease of 11%.
- Net income was $7.7 million, a decrease of $2.4 million as compared to third quarter 2016. EBITDA was $54.9 million, a decrease of 5% as compared to the year-ago period. Both Net income and EBITDA were impacted by $2.2 million of merger-related costs and an increase in direct monitor costs.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $67.9 million, a 1% decrease on a reported basis and a 2% decrease on a constant currency basis. Adjusted EBITDA margin was 17.1% as compared to 16.6% last year.
- Adjusted Free Cash Flow was $25.2 million for the quarter and $79.4 million year-to-date.
- Income tax expense was $4.0 million, representing a 34% tax rate.
- Diluted earnings per share was $0.12 compared to $0.15 last year. Adjusted diluted earnings per share was $0.24 compared to $0.25last year.
“Year-to-date top-line results reflect a changing macroeconomic environment including softness in previously strong markets and corridors, central bank intervention of capital flows, and a volatile immigration environment, all impacting the money transfer business. The complexity of global compliance requirements is also affecting revenue as we implement enhanced solutions to comply with increasingly stringent AML and consumer fraud measures to protect our customers and the integrity of our network,” said Alex Holmes, MoneyGram’schief executive officer.
“At the same time, our team is improving the efficiency and productivity of our operations resulting in Adjusted EBITDA margin expansion for both the third quarter and year-to-date. In the third quarter our Digital business reached our previously stated goal of 15% of total money transfer revenue and moneygram.com grew 23% from last year. We continue to build on this momentum and align our business with growing technology trends,” Mr. Holmes concluded.
Regarding MoneyGram’s pending transaction with Ant Financial; MoneyGram and Ant Financial continue to work with the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and various other regulatory agencies, and remain focused on closing the transaction within the time periods permitted by the Merger Agreement.
This communication contains forward-looking statements which are protected as forward-looking statements under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 that are not limited to historical facts, but reflect MoneyGram’s current beliefs, expectations or intentions regarding future events. Words such as “may,” “will,” “could,” “should,” “expect,” “plan,” “project,” “intend,” “anticipate,” “believe,” “estimate,” “predict,” “potential,” “pursuant,” “target,” “continue,” and similar expressions are intended to identify such forward-looking statements. The statements in this communication that are not historical statements are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the federal securities laws, including, among other things, statements regarding the expected timetable for completing the proposed transaction. These statements are subject to numerous risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond MoneyGram’s control, which could cause actual results to differ materially from the results expressed or implied by the statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to: the timing to consummate the proposed transaction with Ant Financial; the conditions to closing of the proposed transaction may not be satisfied or that the closing of the proposed transaction otherwise does not occur; the risk that a regulatory approval (including CFIUS approval) that may be required to consummate the proposed transaction is not obtained or is obtained subject to conditions that are not anticipated; the diversion of management time on transaction-related issues; expectations regarding regulatory approval of the transaction; results of litigation, settlements and investigations; actions by third parties, including governmental agencies; global economic conditions; adverse industry conditions; adverse credit and equity market conditions; the loss of, or reduction in business with, key customers; legal proceedings; the ability to effectively identify and enter new markets; governmental regulation; the ability to retain management and other personnel; and other economic, business, or competitive factors.
Additional information concerning factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements is contained from time to time in MoneyGram’s SEC filings. MoneyGram’s filings may be obtained by contacting MoneyGram or the SEC or through MoneyGram’s web site at corporate.moneygram.com or through the SEC’s Electronic Data Gathering and Analysis Retrieval System (EDGAR) at http://www.sec.gov. MoneyGram undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement.
In addition to results presented in accordance with GAAP, this news release and related tables include certain non-GAAP financial measures, including a presentation of EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, including agent signing bonus amortization), Adjusted EBITDA (EBITDA adjusted for certain significant items), Adjusted EBITDA margin, Adjusted Free Cash Flow (Adjusted EBITDA less cash interest, cash taxes, cash payments related to an IRS tax matter, and cash payments for capital expenditures and agent signing bonuses), constant currency measures (which assume that amounts denominated in foreign currencies are translated to the U.S.dollar at rates consistent with those in the prior year), adjusted diluted earnings per share and adjusted net income. In addition, we present adjusted operating income and adjusted operating margin for our two reporting segments. The following tables include a full reconciliation of non-GAAP financial measures to the related GAAP financial measures.
We believe that these non-GAAP financial measures provide useful information to investors because they are an indicator of the strength and performance of ongoing business operations. These calculations are commonly used as a basis for investors, analysts and other interested parties to evaluate and compare the operating performance and value of companies within our industry. Finally, EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA margin, Adjusted Free Cash Flow, constant currency, adjusted diluted earnings per share and adjusted net income figures are financial and performance measures used by management in reviewing results of operations, forecasting, allocating resources or establishing employee incentive programs. Although MoneyGram believes the above non-GAAP financial measures enhance investors’ understanding of its business and performance, these non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered in isolation or as substitutes for the accompanying GAAP financial measures.
About MoneyGram International
MoneyGram is a global provider of innovative money transfer services and is recognized worldwide as a financial connection to friends and family. Whether online, or through a mobile device, at a kiosk or in a local store, we connect consumers any way that is convenient for them. We also provide bill payment services, issue money orders and process official checks in select markets. More information about MoneyGram International, Inc. is available at moneygram.com.