Discussion and decision to expand brand architecture and subsequent strategies for the successful launch of brand extension(s) is never an easy one. Truth be told, it’s a Brand Manager’s nightmare! Fear. Anxiety. Stress sets in from time to time in the project and even months after the market introduction.
Fundamentally, the dilemma is trying to balance the existing identity of the Mother/Parent brand at the same time trying to build an identity and visual space for the new introduction(s).
To cut a long story short, I was taken aback, but deep down I wasn’t totally surprised with the recent introduction of Limca Cola.
A sixth sense told me that the decision to introduce this variant is driven by the need to secure the company’s position in the market; my role is not to challenge this, however, I’d like to encourage the Team to:
- Ensure that the Motherbrand is passionately protected.
- Strive to build strong links to the Brand’s distinctive assets.
- Test any assumptions about the strength of the assets of the Motherbrand
- Avoid identities that clashes. Limca is synonymous with ‘Green’ colour, suddenly now ‘red’ / cola????
- Be consistent with key Brand assets
- Strive to build a bridge; rather than creating wide irreplaceable gaps
- Engage in insight-driven, rich discussion around stretch-ability of the Motherbrand asset
- Keep it simple!
- Motherbrand 1st; others 2nd
Constructive discussion welcome…
Dolapo Otegbayi, an accomplished and seasoned Senior Marketing Professional with over 15 years’ experience in all aspects of Commercial Business; encompassing Consumer and Shopper Marketing. She is one of the top 50 Marketing Communication professionals in West Africa (7th MWA 2017).