- EPA combined City/Hwy fuel economy improves by two MPG on most models
- New standard Hyundai SmartSense safety features
- Hyundai announces 2020 Elantra pricing
The 2020 Hyundai Elantra, with a new Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT), improved fuel economy and standard Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA), once again is the standard in the compact sedan segment. Pricing throughout the lineup delivers consumers a compelling choice, starting at $18,950 for the Elantra SE. The 2020 Elantra arrives in dealer showrooms this spring.
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety data shows that Automatic Emergency Braking and Forward Collision Warning, which are both integrated into Elantra’s standard Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist, are associated with a 50-per cent reduction in rear-end collisions. In addition, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 94 per cent of serious vehicle crashes involve human error, which is why advanced safety technologies like Elantra’s standard Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) have the potential to save lives.
New standard features
- Intelligent Variable Transmission
- Dual Automatic Temperature Control
- 3.5-inch mono TFT cluster display
- Efficient Positive Temperature Coefficient Electric Heater (2.0L engine only)
- Engine Idle Stop & Go on Eco model
- Dual Shell Horn
- Hyundai SmartSense features
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Driver Attention Warning
Fuel Economy Improvement
- Advertisement -
|Value Edition||2.0L||IVT||34 (+2)||32|
2020 Elantra Pricing
|SE||2.0L Atkinson Cycle 4-cylinder||IVT||$18,950|
|SEL||2.0L Atkinson Cycle 4-cylinder||IVT||$19,700|
|Value||2.0L Atkinson Cycle 4-cylinder||IVT||$20,600|
|Eco||1.4L Turbo GDI 4-cylinder||7-speed Dual Clutch||$21,250|
|Sport||1.6L Turbo GDI 4-cylinder||7-speed Dual Clutch||$22,800|
|Limited||2.0L Atkinson Cycle 4-cylinder||IVT||$23,800|
Freight charges for the 2020MY Elantra are $920 and are not included in the chart above.
- SE manual transmission and Sport manual transmission discontinued
Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT)
Hyundai’s new IVT provides superior efficiency and simulates gear shifts from an automatic transmission that customers like. This transmission performs continuous shifts by modulating the pressure of the transmission’s pulley, depending on driving conditions and driver inputs. It utilizes a wide ratio pulley system, which provides a broader ratio of operation when compared with its competitors. This allows for improved fuel economy at higher gear ratios and improved performance at lower ratios.
As opposed to a more common push belt, the IVT takes advantage of a chain belt, a world’s first in the compact car segment. A chain improves fuel efficiency by an additional 1.2% when compared with conventional belt systems.
Hyundai’s new Shift Control Strategy used by the IVT improves linearity between driver inputs, vehicle behaviour and acceleration. Shift response is enhanced, allowing it to closely replicate automatic transmission step shifts.
The 2020 Elantra offers a new array of standard advanced safety technologies.
- FCA uses the car’s front-facing camera to help detect an imminent collision and avoid impact or minimize damage by braking
- LKA helps prevent accidental lane departure by sensing road markings, automatically steering the car if necessary.
- Driver Attention Warning system monitors a spectrum of driver-related characteristics to help detect driver fatigue.
SmartSense features already included on the Elantra Limited with Ultimate Package include:
- Smart Cruise Control (SCC) makes highway and long distance driving more comfortable. Using a radar sensor mounted on the lower front grille, the SCC system maintains a set distance from the vehicle ahead in varied traffic conditions by automatically adjusting vehicle speed as needed.
- Safe Exit Assist that may sound an alert when a vehicle approaches from behind, letting passengers know it may not be safe to open the door to exit the vehicle.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection is a technology that utilizes both the front forward-facing radar and camera through sensor fusion to help detect a vehicle or pedestrian, and warns the driver of a potential collision. If the driver does not react to avoid the impact, the system may apply emergency braking in certain circumstances.
Additional SmartSense Safety features include:
Blind-Spot Collision Warning with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and Lane Change Assist (available all trims except SE)
- Standard: 5-inch colour audio system
- Standard: Bluetooth and steering wheel audio controls
- Blue Link® Connected Car System with three years of complimentary Blue Link services applied to Value Edition
- Qi wireless charging applied to Limited trim level
- Available AVN 5.0 with a faster processor, Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™ and HERE HD Traffic 8-inch Multimedia Navigation System offered with higher level trims
- Infinity premium audio with 8 speakers including a centre channel and subwoofer applied to Limited trim level
- Drive Mode Select applied standard
- Standard: Rearview camera with dynamic guidelines
The Elantra features two engine options that focus on fuel efficiency and a third engine option in the Elantra Sport model. The SE, SEL, Value Edition and Limited offer the 2.0L MPI Atkinson Cycle engine with 147 horsepower @ 6,200 RPM and Eco offer the 1.4L Turbo-GDI with 128 horsepower @ 5,500 RPM. The Eco model achieves an EPA estimated 36 mpg combined fuel economy rating thanks to a 7-speed dual clutch transmission.
The Elantra Sport trim features a 201 horsepower 1.6L Turbo-GDI engine and a 7-speed dual clutch transmission, a sporty interior and revised trim headliner, advanced technology and connectivity, paddle shifters, sport front seats with the leather, flat-bottom, leather-wrapped steering wheel, a sport instrument cluster and door trim garnish. The Elantra Sport features multi-link independent rear suspension which improves the dynamic performance and allows for greater flexibility in tuning.