You have probably come across a picture of a face roller on your Instagram feed or seen one in use while watching a celebrity’s skincare routine. Face rolling is the act of using a face roller to massage your face. Face rollers vary in size, colour and material.
The Chinese have used face rollers for years but it has gained a lot of popularity in recent times. Face rollers look like mini paint rollers and are usually made from jade stones, rose quartz or other crystals. There are face rollers made from two stainless steel balls and some with little needles. Essentially, they are used to gently massage the face and add multiple benefits to your skin.
Furthermore, one of the key benefits of face rolling is lymphatic drainage. In our bodies, lymph nodes carry nutrients that help our immune systems battle viruses and bacteria. However, when these lymph nodes remain stagnant, our immune systems break down. Thus, face rolling helps to apply pressure and encourage movement and circulation within.
Face rollers also:
- Get rid of toxins
- Minimise pores
- Reduce fine lines and the appearance of wrinkles
- Ease muscle tension
- Decrease puffiness and inflammation
- Brighten complexion
Important tips on using face rollers
- When using a face roller, roll from the middle of your face to the sides. Then roll along your neck to your clavicle (collarbone). Remember: Upward and outward motions.
- Use your face roller after cleansing your face or after your skincare routine. You can also use it on a sheet mask. This can be a way to relax your face before sleeping.
- Using light to moderate pressure is enough. This is because the face roller is already adding its own pressure to your skin.
- For a more relaxing use, store your face roller in a cool environment. For example, your skincare mini-fridge.
- The smaller side of your face roller is for your eye and mouth areas while the bigger side is for the rest of your face.
Face rollers are a good addition to your skincare routine and provide you with at-home facial relaxation. If you cannot afford one right now, you can also use clean fingers to massage your face daily.