Governor of Lagos State, Mr Jide Sanwo-Olu today unveiled the first Locally-Assembled Electric Car called Hyundai Kona at the Stallion Group Automobile Factory, Ojo Lagos.
Speaking on the Hyundai Kona car, assembled by Stallion Group Automobile at Ojo in Lagos, Governor Sanwo-Olu said with the unveiling of the car, Nigerians can now drive electric cars, noting that Lagos remains the hub for the nation’s economy & a pacesetter in industrialisation.
The Hyundai Kona car is 100 per cent electric and comes with zero-emission, 482km driving range and can be charged both at home and workplace.
He said: “We are not just launching Hyundai Kona, Nigeria’s first electric car assembled in Lagos, we are indeed empowering and creating youth employment. We are also creating an opportunity for teeming youths of this nation.
“The future that we see is the future of technology and this is the technology that we are talking about. This is 21st Century technology that has been brought into our country. With hardcore manufacturing companies like Stallion Group Automobile, we can begin to see the need to dis-emphasise mono-product, which is oil. “With the innovation of Hyundai Kona, we do not need to put the pressure on what the pump price of oil is again, what the pump price of petroleum is.
Governor Sanwo-Olu while stressing his administration’s commitment to the growth of businesses in the State, said Lagos State Government will partner with Stallion Group Automobile as well as private industries in the State and create an enabling environment for them to do well so that they can create job opportunities for the youths.
He also assured that Lagos State Government would be partnering through Ibile Oil and Gas and other private organisations to create different charging points in Lagos so that people will have the opportunity of where they will charge the electric cars.
The Hyundai Kona Engine and Charging port … the body .. Interior …. and co. pic.twitter.com/sottzXC96M
— Gawat Jubril A. (@Mr_JAGss) November 13, 2020
HYUNDAI KONA SPECS:
- 422 Kilometer at one charge
- 9 hrs 45m for a full charge (0-100%)
- 5 years Warranty
- Stylish Interior
- Easy Handling
- Compact electric SUV segment-leading 250-mile estimated range
- Bold, fresh design elements with extroverted colour options
- Signature LED headlights, taillights and daytime running lights
- High-efficiency 201 horsepower (150 kW), 291 lb.-ft. electric motor powertrain
- High-voltage 64 kWh lithium-ion battery
- Standard floating touchscreen with Apple CarPlay™/Android Auto™ capability
- Hyundai Smart Sense (HSS):
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection
- Driver Attention Warning
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Blind-Spot Collision Warning
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist
- High Beam Assist
- Premium technology availability:
- 8-inch navigation system
- Shift-by-wire centre console drive controls with additional lower storage
- Next-generation Blue Link® connected car system
- The heads-up display (with active pop-up display screen)
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Qi wireless-device charging
KONA Electric, Hyundai Motor Company’s globally loved full electric compact SUV, has surpassed the 100,000 global sales milestone. Cumulative sales of KONA Electric reached 103,719 units as of June 30—just over two years since its launch in March 2018. Sales outside of its home market Korea accounted for more than three-quarters of the total.
In 2018, Auto Express named it the Affordable Electric Car of the Year. The EV also played a role in the KONA nameplate winning Spanish newspaper ABC’s Best Car of the Year award. It also won the 2019 North American Utility Vehicle of the Year.
Building on KONA Electric’s successful legacy, Hyundai Motor Company is focused on making zero-emissions mobility a reality, making it a significant part of its long-term strategy. By 2025, the company aims to sell 560,000 battery electric vehicles in addition to FCEV models.