The Chief Medical Director of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Professor Adetokunbo O. Fabamwo, and other professors from the institutions have been inducted as Fellows of the prestigious Academy of Medicine Specialties in Nigeria. The event took place in Lagos, Nigeria recently.
Professor Adetokunbo Fabamwo, a renowned Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM), Ikeja., holds an MBChB degree as well as Fellowships of the National Postgraduate Medical College, West African College of Surgeons and the International College of Surgeons.
He was the Medical Director of Ayinke House for many years and the pioneer Director of Clinical Services and Training at the evolution of LASUTH in 2001. He has over 70 scientific publications in mainly international peer-reviewed journals. He is a Part One and Part Two Examiner of the Faculty of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the National Postgraduate Medical College and the West African College of Surgeons.
In his congratulatory message, the Director of Clinical Services and Training of the institution, Dr. Adebowale Adekoya with other top management of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) felicitated with Prof. Adetokunbo O. Fabamwo.
He said, “the institution is delighted to have her CMD and other leading Professionals from the institutions to become a part of the academy. This is an acknowledgement of the great work that they are all doing within the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH). Everyone should strive and emulate the passion of the CMD to his Profession and his daily duties within the institution.”
In his response on the behalf of other fellows, Prof. Fabamwo while appreciating the show of love, gave a brief chronicle of his career and talked about how he overcame several obstacles that could have sabotaged his professional growth. He pointed out that though he had some delays, the drive to get to the pinnacle of his career brought him this far. He, therefore, encouraged all present not to give up on any chance to improve themselves. He said vision, hard work, and focus will help anyone achieve whatever they wish to achieve.
Other members of the LASUTH family that also became fellows of the academy are:
- Prof. Shamsideen Abayomi Ogun, Department of Internal Medicine/Neurology, LASUCOM/LASUTH;
- Prof. Fidelis Olisamefua Njokanma, Department of Pediatrics and Child Health and former Dean, Faculty of Clinical Sciences, LASUCOM/LASUTH;
- Prof. Elizabeth Disu, Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, LASUCOM/LASUTH;
- Prof Anthonia Okeoghene Ogbera, Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, LASUCOM/LASUTH and
- Professor Oluwarotimi Ireti Akinola, Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, LASUCOM/LASUTH and
- Current National President, Society of Gynaecology and Obstetrics of Nigeria, SOGON.