From DataRobot and Olive to Epic Games and Magic Leap,Â our infographic shows the top private tech company in every state, based on funding totals.
Our analysis ranks private tech companies based on total disclosed equity funding. Companies included have raised at least $1M in equity funding since January 2016. All companies on our map are VC-backed, with the exception ofÂ West Virginia.
Key takeaways from the top tech startups in the US
- The most well-funded US tech startup is California-based e-cigarette companyÂ JUUL Labs, with a whopping $15B in disclosed equity funding. Most recently, the company raised a $700M mega-round in February 2020, earning it a $12B valuation.
- After JUUL, the most well-funded startups on our map are North Carolina-based video game developerÂ Epic GamesÂ ($4.4B in equity funding) and Pennsylvania-based delivery serviceÂ goPuffÂ ($3.4B).
- Our map features 19Â unicorn companiesÂ valued at $1B+, including cybersecurity companyÂ TaniumÂ (WA, $9B valuation), healthcare-focused RPA companyÂ OliveÂ (OH, $4B valuation), andÂ corporate training platformÂ ArticulateÂ (NY, $3.8B valuation).
- New York-based ArticulateÂ is the most recently minted unicorn on our map: theÂ online training platform hit a $3.8B valuation following its $1.5B Series A round in July 2021.
- 7 companiesÂ on the map have raised over $1B in total disclosed equity financing: JUUL Labs, Epic Games, GoPuff, Magic Leap, Articulate, Tanium, and DataRobot. All of these companies are valued at over $1B.
- Including theÂ 7Â startups mentioned above,Â 35Â companies on the map have raised $100M or more in equity funding.
- 11Â of the startups on our map have raised $50M or less in equity funding. The venture capital-backed startup with the least funding on the map isÂ AlaskaâsÂ 60Hertz Energy, which develops energy asset maintenance software.
- The bulk of these companies (31) have raised funding in 2021; just 8 last raised prior to 2020.
Since our last update of the map inÂ February 2021, there have beenÂ 4 exits: MarylandâsÂ Xometry, New YorkâsÂ UiPath, and VirginiaâsÂ Privia HealthÂ each made their IPO, while OregonâsÂ VacasaÂ is going public via a SPAC.
List of top-funded tech startups in the US
|State||Company||Total Equity Funding ($M)|
|North Carolina||Epic Games||4,375|
|Minnesota||Arctic Wolf Networks||498|
|Connecticut||Cedar Gate Technologies||220|
|Rhode Island||Virgin Pulse||125|
|Maine||Tilson Technology Management||109|
|New Mexico||Descartes Labs||58|
|South Carolina||Commerce Guys||46|
|West Virginia||Skylake Wireless*||19|