“Visual Effects” or “Visual FX” and animation involve the integration of false or animated images or computer-generated graphics with real film shooting. Visual FX is utilized if the storyline is dangerous to simulate in real life. At times it is also employed to craft exaggerated yet realistic action, situations, environment, elements, characters, etc. that would otherwise be unfeasible to create.
Types of VFX artist roles:
VFX process (pipeline) is split into 2D compositing and 3D -crafting elements using computer-generated imagery (CGI). The main types are:
- Compositing Artist
- Effects (FX) technical director (TD)
- FX Animator
- Multimedia Artist
- VFX Artist
- VFX Supervisor
While VFX is taken care of during post-production, however, its planning is done during pre-production. VFX artists usually are required to:
- Crafting high-quality visuals as per the assigned budgets
- Adherence to deadlines
- Conceptualize, ideate, design, and generate cutting-edge special effects, simulations, etc.
- Collaborate with producers, artists, supervisors, composite leads besides other departments to manage workflow, take direction as well as feedback
- Organize meetings, follow up on the next steps as well as on the feedbacks
- Maintain an accurate progress summary
- Ensure client deliveries and manage edits in consultation with the editorial department
- Remain calm, confident, and organized in a fast-paced high-pressure environment
On completion of VFX and animation course certification, the following are the profiles that can be tapped:
- Animator: Animators create multiple images called frames, which when arranged together give an illusion of movement. They work in stop-frame, 2D, 3D model-making as well as computer-generated animation, etc., and their work is used to enhance the experience of films, tv shows, games, and other digital mediums, etc.
- Rigging or Texture Artist: As a Rigger/Texture Artist, you will not only craft digital skeletons for 3D computer-generated characters but also help in creating their movement as well as emotions, including, a person’s face and movement of their mouth when they interact. The whole objective is to make the animated character seem as lifelike as possible.
- VFX Producers: They are responsible for budgets as well as managing the whole process of VFX for films or TV shows.
- VFX artists: Using the latest technology, they not only create photoreal, computer-generated elements and digitally generated imagery but also are responsible for their seamless integration with live action. Their services are much sought after in films, television as well as gaming industry.
- Concept Artists: Concept artist use their creativity as well as visualisation skills to sketch images of people, characters, creatures, places, worlds, moods, etc. that doesn’t yet exist. He is much sought after for any project involving a visual story.
- Game Designer: He conceives, ideates, and designs the games, their levels, and mechanics. Besides this, he also needs to ensure that they are regularly updated.
- Web Designers: They are responsible to plan, conceive and code web pages so as to construct websites using their technical as well as non-technical skills. They also need to ensure its proper maintenance as well as updates in addition to apt user experience.