Nowadays, a lot of people are looking for VPNs, especially those internet users and many other people who want to pass geo-blocking. If you really want to know about it, in this article, we will share how to activate and use a VPN on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 quickly and easy.
VPNs, or Virtual Private Networks, have been famous for years, and people mostly use them to open and block by the government or by the internet provider.
What is a VPN?
For those who don’t know VPN, we will briefly explain what a VPN is before going to the tutorial. A virtual private connection may open access to all blocked websites through a channeled connection. Through a VPN, you can use remote dedicated IP. In short, a VPN can connect a phone, PC, tablet, or laptop to the previously blocked website by using a private server located nearby. The system will choose the nearest location to your area, so you’ll have a steady connection and low ping for playing games.
To enable the VPN on multiple Windows versions, here’s how to do it:
Steps to enable VPN on Windows 7
- First, open the Control Panel on the laptop.
- Select the Network and Internet menu
- Open the Network and Sharing Center option.
- Set up a new connection
- Click Connect to Workplace
- Click the option to create a new connection, then click Next.
- Then when asked, simply choose the VPN option.
- Then in the “Type the Internet address to connect to the window,” fill in the Internet address field.
- To do this, please go to the site: VPNBook.com, then scroll down.
- Then in the Free OpenVPN and PPTP VPN section, select the PPTP tab.
- Record and save the existing VPN Server address, along with the Username and Password below it.
- Now it’s time to enter the VPN Server address that has been taken into the previous Internet address field, for example, us1.vpnbook.com,
- Then in the Destination name column, just fill in the name of the VPN connection as you like, for example, given the name: “VPN Connection.”
- If it has been filled in, just click Next.
- In the next window, enter the Username and Password recorded in the User name and Password column, then select Connect.
- Wait until the connection is fully established.
- After the You are connected notification appears, select Close.
- Now, you’re fully connected to VPN. And then, just click on the internet or WiFi icon located in your taskbar.
- Simply click the VPN Connection that was created, for example, “VPN Connection,” then click Connect.
- Done, you’ve successfully connected to VPN!
Steps to enable VPN on Windows 8
- First, go to the Control Panel on the laptop.
- Then select Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Set up a new connection or network in the Change your network settings section.
- Choose Connect to a Workplace option.
- Then select No, set up a new connection, then click Next.
- Then just select Use my Internet connection (VPN)
- Right after that, in the Internet address section, you can fill in the VPN address obtained on the VPNBook.com site as in the tutorial on activating a VPN on a Windows 7 laptop earlier.
- Once filled, just select Create
- Now it’s time to fill in the User name and Password fields that you can also get on the VPNBook.com site, then select Connect.
- If the Sign-in window appears, please fill in the user name and password fields according to what you got on the VPNBook.com site, then click OK.
- Well, the VPN connection was successfully created; just click the internet / WiFi icon in the lower right corner (the taskbar)
- And done, successfully enable VPN on Windows 8 Laptop. You can use the browser finally more safely by using a VPN service.
Steps to enable VPN on Windows 10
- First, open Settings in Windows.
- Then select Network & Internet.
- Then select the VPN menu and click Add a VPN Connection.
- Enter all the detail in the info in the display window that opens.
- In the VPN provider section, select Windows (built-in)
- In the Connection name section, fill in the desired connection name, for example, “VPN Connection.”
- In the Server name or address section, please fill in the VPN Server address you have; you can get it on the VPNBook.com site on the PPTP tab at the bottom, just like in the previous tutorial above.
- Then in the VPN type section, just select Automatic.
- Then in the Type of sign-in info option, select User name and password.
- In the User name column, fill in the Username that you got on the VPNBook.com site.
- Then in the Password column, also fill in the VPN password obtained on the VPNBook.com site.
- Next, just tick the “Remember my sign-in info” box, then click the Save button.
- Now you have successfully managed to establish a VPN connection on your PC
- To activate it, just select the name of the connection created earlier, in the example above, for example, “VPN Connection” in the VPN menu or the Internet connection icon in the lower right corner of the taskbar.
- Then just click the “Connect” button, then the VPN is active.
And there you have it. By channeling your connection through VPN, you can be a lot safer on the internet since your actual IP address will be masked with the server’s address.