It is the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2023 final tonight and perennial foes Nigeria and Cote d’Ivoire will square up at the Stade Alassane Ouattara in Abidjan.
The two sides have already met in the group phase with the Super Eagles edging it 1-0.
That encounter was not the first time these two giants of West African and African football, with five AFCON titles between them, have met.
2023 AFCON Final: 5 Fascinating Facts About Nigeria Vs Cote d’Ivoire Encounters
- The first AFCON game between Côte d’Ivoire and Nigeria was in 1980. The match, which was held in Nigeria, ended in a 1-1 draw.
- Nigeria’s first AFCON win against Côte d’Ivoire was at the 1990 edition. The Super Eagles won the match 1-0 thanks to a goal from Rashidi Yekini.
- Côte d’Ivoire’s first AFCON win against Nigeria was in 2006. The Elephants won the match 1-0 thanks to a goal from Didier Drogba.
- Nigeria has more wins against Côte d’Ivoire in their AFCON meetings. The Super Eagles have three wins to the Elephants’ two, with one draw.
- The most recent meeting between the two teams was in the group stages at the current AFCON. The hosts lost 1-0 to Nigeria courtesy of a 55th-minute penalty converted by William Troost-Ekong.