No fewer than 1,306 people died in road accidents in Nigeria in Q4 2017, according to National Bureau of Statistics, NBS. This implies an average of about 14 people died each day in the three months of Q4 2017 in road accidents across the country.
The National Bureau of Statistics on Friday, Feb 16, 2018, released the Road Transport Data report for the fourth quarter of last year with the country recording a total of 7,349 Nigerians got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded. 6,855 of the 7,349 Nigerians that got injured, representing 93% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 494 Nigerians, representing 7% of the figure are children. 5,366 male Nigerians, representing 73%, got injured in road crashes in Q4 while 1,983 female Nigerians, representing 27% got injured. Brandspur Nigeria reports.
Similarly, a total of 1,306 Nigerians got killed in the road traffic crashes recorded in Q4 2017. 1,200 of the 1,306 Nigerians that got killed, representing 92% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 106 Nigerians, representing 8% of the figure are children. 1,019 male Nigerians, representing 78%, got killed in road crashes in Q4 while 287 female Nigerians, representing 22% got killed.
In the report signed by the Statistician General of the Federation and Chief Executive, NBS, Dr Yemi Kale and made available to BrandSpur Nigeria, the bureau said, “Estimated vehicle population in Nigeria as at Q4 2017 was put at 11,547,236with the total population of the country puts at 193,392,517 in 2016. Nigeria s vehicle per population ratio is put 0.06.” Data on the category of vehicles involved in road crashes in Q4 2017 reflected that 58% of vehicles are commercial (2,000), 40.3% are private (1,401), 1.17% are government and the remaining are diplomats
Similarly, a total of 214,256 national drivers licenses were produced in Q4 2017. Lagos and FCT produced the highest number of drivers licenses while Zamfara and Kebbi States produced the least numbers of national drivers license.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.