All-new and funkier than ever, the 2020 Soul is a completely new yet familiar version of Kia’s beloved and award-winning urban runabout. Taking everything that helped popularize the quirky, unconventionally styled subcompact, Kia Motors poured more of its soul into nearly every inch of the vehicle, resulting in a third-generation that continues to transcend unmatched style, peppy performance, thrilling technology, and urban practicality.
“The Soul has been a massive success since its introduction to the U.S. market, blowing its (now defunct) rivals out of the water and establishing itself as an automotive icon with its fun-loving character and eccentric style,” said Orth Hedrick, executive director of Car Planning and Telematics. “Even with an entirely new generation of competitors now crowding the marketplace, we are confident the all-new Soul will once again prove to be a tough contender given its unparalleled style and an impressive level of invigorating technology and customization options.”
Proving the point that “there is a Soul for everyone,” the normally aspirated and optionally turbocharged Soul is available in five trim levels – LX, S, X-Line, GT-Line, and EX – plus the all-new Soul EV.
Design Beyond the Box
While the Soul stays true to its design heritage with its boxy silhouette and confident stance, its newly sculpted lines, cutting-edge details, and technical lighting elements present the most futuristic, youthful and innovative Soul yet.
New exterior design highlights include:
- High-tech front headlight configuration with connecting trim piece accentuates width
- Slim-design daytime running lights and turn signal indicators
- Larger front grille with unique two-tone treatment
- Front fender detail lines add volume to clean and smooth surfaces
- Roof rack mounting points
- Three-dimensional wraparound boomerang-shaped taillights
- C-pillars designed to resemble airplane wings
- Signature vertical rear window and “Island” stay true to Soul design heritage
- Distinctive C-pillar garnish features new “Soul” graphic
Music has been an overarching theme for Soul since its inception, and it’s no different this time around. For the third generation, designers and engineers turned up the volume on the interior design. Drawing inspiration from the “emotional visualization of sound,” the Soul’s interior space is adorned with shapes and textures that reflect acoustic inspired elements to create a full sensory experience.
Interior design highlights include:
- Available sound mood lighting emits soft light from the center door panels and a unique 3D pattern surface on the upper door panels, with the ability to synchronize to the beat of the music playing through the Soul’s audio system
- Sound mood lighting features a rainbow of customizable colors
- Available wireless charging
- Available dual auto climate control
- Soul’s signature tweeter speakers
Smart Packaging and Stronger Structure
Despite its compact footprint, the Soul’s boxy dimensions continue to offer up a surprising amount of cargo and passenger space. Slightly longer than before, the 2020 Soul also features more smartly designed packaging in an effort to make accessibility even easier.
- Length: 165.2 in. [+2.2 in.]
- Width: 70.9 in. [unchanged]
- Height: 63.0 in. [unchanged]
- Wheelbase: 102.4 in. [+1.2 in.]
- Legroom (front / rear): 41.1 in./ 38.8 in. [+0.2 in./ – 0.3 in.]
- Headroom without sunroof (front / rear): 39.4 in. / 39.5 in. [-0.2 in./ unchanged]
- Shoulder room (front /rear): 55.5 in. /54.7 in. [unchanged]
- Cargo capacity: up to 24.2 cu.-ft.
- Wider and lower rear liftgate opening improves ease of loading and unloading
- Easy grip handle on liftgate
- Dual level cargo board offers flexibility with the ability to accommodate taller items using the lower level setting
- Larger front door openings as a result of sculpted front door panels
The 2020 Soul’s stronger structure benefits from increased use of Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS), hot stamped components, and structural adhesive. With stronger bones, the 2020 Soul is expected to achieve the highest safety ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Next-Gen Infotainment and Kia Drive Wise Technologies
Recognizing that one’s car is an integral part of their social life, the 2020 Soul continues to surprise and delight with next-gen infotainment and technology.
- Available 10.25-inch HD colour touchscreen2 with split screen function (standard on EX, GT-Line with turbo engine) and rear view monitor3 and parking guidance
- Android Auto4 and Apple CarPlay5
- Bluetooth®6 Multi-Connection – two Bluetooth devices can be connected at the same time
- Available 8-inch Head-Up Display2
- Available 640-watt Harman Kardon7 audio system – twice the wattage of current Soul – with an amplifier and 10 speakers including tuned center speaker and subwoofer
Like other newly designed Kia models, the all-new Soul offers a suite of available Kia Drive Wise features8 including:
- Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA) / FCA Pedestrian type
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
- Lane Changing Assist (LCA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)9
- Blind-spot Collision Warning (BCW)
- Rear Cross Collision Warning (RCCW)
- Smart Cruise Control (SCC)
- High Beam Assist (HBA)
What Drives You?
Soul enhances its fun-to-drive personality and versatility with different drivetrain combinations. From the all-new 2019 Forte, Kia’s Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT) is now available on the 2020 Soul for those who require efficiency with their zip. Designed and built in-house, the IVT is Kia’s unique version of a continuously variable transmission that provides an engaging driving experience.