In aviation, the flight length is defined as the distance of a flight. Commercial flights are often categorised into long-medium or short-haul by commercial airlines based on flight length. Short-haul is flight lasting anywhere from 30 minutes to 3hours. Medium-haul is defined by flights lasting between 3-6hours. And lastly, long-haul lights are those that extend beyond 6-12hours.
Going through this journey is not an easy one and as such, there should also be considered into the amount of load one is crying as to help ease stress and reduce much weight and burden. As a traveller, it is not an issue going around to visit destinations and also for business purposes but going on a long-haul flight can be very burdensome.
Any long haul flights last between 6-12 hours and you can be sure to check Travelstart if you are looking at the possibility of booking your long flights.
As a traveller, it is advisable to travel with a neck pillow, sleep mask, sweater/scarf, earphone, so as to make the relaxation smooth.
Medical Tips Towards Surviving Long-Haul lights
As a traveller, one cannot move around the cabin barefoot or just in socks. With a good travel slipper, it allows you to get comfortable and remain stylish. They help prevent the feet from swelling caused by high altitudes.
- Walk Through the Cabin
It is advisable that while travelling a long-haul flight, one should endeavour to take a walk through the cabin occasionally to avoid clot formation in the legs.
- Have a Travel Pillow
Having a personal travel pillow will go a long way in helping make sleeping more comfortable as it provides support for the neck.
- Choice off Sit
Planning to travel that far? Hey, there is a need to put into consideration your choice of seat. This is because a good seating space will help create enough legroom to enable you to stretch your legs at intervals.
- Take enough Water
Knowing the distance of the journey, you are embarking on, it will be better to always request for water from the air host/hostess several times to avoid dehydration.
- Portable power bank/charger
You will not want to go through such a long journey and eel embarrassed to see that your mobile phone has gone down. So, it will be nice to have a portable charger to help salvage the situation.
- Chewing Gum
Not many might understand this especially for first-timers travelling this far but the act is having enough chewing gum in the bag goes a long way in keeping the mouth fresh. Gums help freshens one’s breath and also allows you to pop your ears safely to help avoid ear clogged.
- Create your own Entertainment
Yes, you can create your own entertainment by downloading enough music to listen to, have books to read, magazines, crossword puzzle, books and the likes.
Disadvantages of Long-haul Flights
- Nausea: Not everyone’s body system fits into such situations. Long-haul flights for some or the majority of people could lead to the nauseatic feeling because the body system changes as time goes by.
- Dehydration: One would easily get dehydrated when seated for a long period. The body is made to be active and so, the moment it is overly relaxed, the water in the body tends to dry up very fast.
- Aches: The body tends to go through discomfort when relaxed for a long period. It is not advisable to embark on long-haul flights to avoid body aches.
- Boredom: It gets boring with time especially when there is no one to converse with during the journey.
- After Flight Sickness: After a long-haul flight, there would be this sickly feeling for a few days before the body system can normalize for the commencement of activities.