NERC Nigeria has issued an Order on the replacement of faulty and obsolete meters in the Nigeria Electricity Supply Industry, NESI.
Below are the facts you need to know about the replacement of meter in the Nigeria Electricity Supply Industry, NESI.
- Priority should be given to the metering of unmetered customers under the National Mass Metering Program, NMMP.
- Discos may replace obsolete/faulty meters under the NMMP but this must be done with strict compliance to the metering code and under regulatory instruments of the Commission.
- Discos must inspect customers’ meters and issue a notice of replacement which must contain: date of inspection, name and designation and signature of the inspection officer, the fault identified in the meter and the date for the installation of the new meter.
- New meters must be installed upon removal of the faulty meter and on no account will the disco place the customer on estimated billing.
- The customer and DisCo representative shall jointly note the units on the meter being replaced, and the customer must be credited with these units within 48 hours of installing the new meter.
- Customers shall only be billed for loss of revenue where the disco establishes the issue of the bypass, meter tampering or unauthorized access.
- Activation tokens must be issued to customers immediately after the replacement of the meter.
- Discos shall file a monthly report with the Commission on the replacement of meters along with their proposals for the decommissioned meters.
Download the NERC ORDER ON METER REPLACEMENT