2nd August 2021 â Wema Bank PLC announces its unaudited H1, 2021 financial results. The bank recently appointed Mr. Emeka Obiagwu as an Executive Director while Prince Olusegun Adesegun & Adeyemi Adefarakan were appointed as Non-Executive Directors.
The Chief Finance & Strategy Officer, Tunde Mabawonku said
âWe are delighted to announce the Bankâs H1 2021 results. The performance shows growth in key financial metrics despite the challenging macro-economic environment arising from the covid 19 pandemics.â
- Wema Bank reported Profit before Tax (PBT) and Profit After Tax (PAT) of â¦30bn and â¦3.70bn, an increase by 148.8% in H1â2021 (H1â2020; â¦1.72bn PBT, â¦1.49bn PAT)
- Gross earnings grew by 4.94% y-o-y to â¦82bn in H1 2021 (H1 2020: â¦37.95bn).
- Net fee and commission income increased by 71.7% y-o-y to â¦40bn in H1 2021(H1 2020: â¦3.1bn), due to 112.6% increase in credit-related fees, 151.5% increase in management fees, 147.7% growth in fees on financial guarantees.
According to Mr. Mabawonku,
âThe key measure of success for us is growth in customers and customer activity â and we are glad that we are reporting strong growth here.â
- Total liabilities grew by 4.9% to â¦9bn in H1 2021 (H1 2020: â¦909.2bn), driven by deposits from customers which grew by 0.5% to â¦808.8bn in H1 2021 (FY 2020: â¦804.8bn)
- Cost of funds declined to 5.3% from 6.4% in H1, 2020. NPL numbers remained below 5% at 3.55% while Capital Adequacy of 13.24% is above the regulatory minimum of 10%.
- Gross earnings increased by 4.94% (Y-o-Y) to â¦82bn in H1â2021 from â¦37.95bn in H1 2020
- Reported Profit before Tax (PBT) and Profit After Tax (PAT) of â¦30bn and â¦3.70bn, an increase by 148.8% in H1â2021 (H1â2020; â¦1.72bn PBT, â¦1.49bn PAT)
- Net-Interest Income grew by 55.2% to â¦31bn (H1â2020: â¦11.80bn)
- Non-Interest Income declined to â¦64bn from â¦8.30bn in H1â2020
Statement of Financial Position
- Deposit Liabilities up by 0.5% to â¦87bn (FY 2020: â¦804.87bn)
- Net loans grew by 3.63% to â¦15bn (FY 2020: â¦360.08bn)
- Total Asset increased by 4.76% to â¦02trn (FY 2020: â¦979.52bn)
- ROAE of 14.03% in H1â2021 (H1â2020: 6.25%)
- ROAA of 0.82% in H1â2021 (H1â2020: 0.42%)
- 55% NPL ratio (H1â2020: 5.58%)
- CAR is 13.24% (H1â2020: 11.00%)
- Fitch, GCR and Agusto re-affirm Wemaâs National Long-term rating at (BBB-)
Commenting on the results, Mr. Ademola Adebise, the Managing Director said,
âWe are pleased to release our results for the first half of the year. Our performance speaks to the spirit of resilience that runs through the organization as we have strongly bounced back from the covid impacted performance of the same period in 2020.
âAs the economy opens back up fully, we expect to see a stronger performance for the full year 2021. Over the course of the second half of 2021, the bank will continue its strong focus on the digital business, pushing for further gains in customer acquisition, consumer lending and transaction volumes while on the commercial side of the bank, we will continue to aggressively grow our commercial lending business alongside trade and other revenue lines.â