Catalyst Fund is a pre-seed venture capital firm and accelerator firm that is focused on accelerating climate resilience innovation in Africa. They recently announced the successful first close of their planned $40 million fund, with over 20% committed.
The fund has garnered significant support from various investors who share its mission to expand the reach and impact of pre-seed businesses that are working towards creating a climate-resilient future in Africa.
Some of the notable investors in the Catalyst Fund include FSD Africa, FSDAi, Cisco Foundation, USAID Prosper Africa, and seasoned tech investor Andrew Bredenkamp. These investors are aligned with the fund’s objective of supporting early-stage entrepreneurs who are using innovative approaches in technology, finance, and data to address climate-related challenges and opportunities in Africa.
The Catalyst Fund has identified specific focus areas to accelerate sustainable green growth in Africa. These areas include:
- Agtech and fishery management: Supporting innovations in agriculture and fisheries to enhance food security and sustainability.
- Food systems: Promoting solutions that improve the efficiency and resilience of food supply chains.
- Insurtech and climate finance: Enhancing access to financial services and investments related to climate resilience.
- Cold chain: Supporting technologies and infrastructure for preserving and transporting perishable goods, crucial for food security.
- Waste management: Addressing challenges related to waste disposal and recycling, contributing to a cleaner environment.
- Water management: Solutions to ensure efficient and sustainable water use and distribution.
The fund’s primary goal is to help communities in Africa become more resilient to the impacts of climate change, adjust their livelihoods, and better prepare for and manage climate-related shocks. It aims to achieve this by supporting innovative startups and entrepreneurs who are working on climate-resilient solutions.
Catalyst Fund not only provides early-stage funding but also offers hands-on, specialized venture-building support to accelerate the growth of startups. Moreover, the fund is committed to providing follow-on financing in the Seed and Series A rounds, addressing a critical funding gap that often hinders climate initiatives.
Overall, Catalyst Fund’s mission is to foster the growth of mission-driven, local, and female entrepreneurs in Africa who are dedicated to creating climate-resilient solutions. By doing so, they aim to contribute to both the green economic growth of Africa and global efforts to combat the effects of climate change.