In line with Governor Akinwunmi Ambode‘s vision for Lagos State, the Lagos State Safety Commission has been working tirelessly to achieve a better, safer and cleaner Lagos. Hence, the commission organised a forum for players in the automobile industry in order to partner and campaign for a safer Lagos. An Automobile Safety Grant Program was also launched during the event.
The commission is headed by Mr. Hakeem Dickson as the Director-General (DG).. and it has the following responsibilities: Ensuring safety of lives and properties, setting of safety standards, issuance of safety compliance certificates, release of safety alerts, investigation of safety issues and registration of safety practitioners, amongst many others.
Summary of Issues Discussed
- The event commenced at 11am on 29th of August, 2017 at LASEPA building, Alausa, Lagos with an opening remark from the DG, Mr Hakeem Dickson.
- The Managing Director of Universal Insurance Plc, Mr Ben Ujoatuonu stated that the importance of insurance can never be overemphasised. He also assured the commission that his company will always partner with them and Nigerians to provide the best rate for maximum insurance coverage.
- Mr Patrick Anizoba of Clara Claire Energy Services Ltd (UK) spoke about health and safety in mechanic workshops. He campaigned for zero alcohol intake, maximum focus, regular washing of hands etc while in the workshop.
- Mrs Tola Sanusi stated that the commission will soon commence trainings for and certification of organisations in Lagos State to ensure the State’s duty of care is upheld.. This will ensure health, safety, insurance and welfare of all employees.
- Mr Soji Olaopa talked about Hazards being the potential cause of harm as well as Risks which is the possibility of the event occurring. He also talked about how to mitigate risks which goes from things as simple as using grass in place of C-Caution to something as bad as driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Mr Abiodun Ogidan presented the launch of the Automobile Safety Grant (ASG) which is aimed at raising standards in the automobile industry. This includes research as well as training and development programs. He said, support and donations will also be appreciated from auto manufacturers, major workshops and major auto dealers to expand this project.. and donor companies will be entitled to several benefits.
- The final speaker discussed something very important which most of us still overlook. Mrs Julie Chinwe Nwosu from Smart Living Choice Company talked about health, CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation), first aid and stress management. She demonstrated and implored everyone to know about CPR and first aid as knowing what to do in an emergency can mean the difference between life and death.