United Bank for Africa, Courteville, an I.T Company based in Lagos, Union Bank, and Access Bank emerged 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th best companies respectively.
The Best 100 Companies to Work For in Nigeria is an annual list published by Jobberman. This report ranks companies in Nigeria based on job satisfaction, employee happiness, career growth prospects, work-life balance and other relevant metrics as voted for by employees and career professionals.
The 4th edition of the ranking considered a total of 2,156 valid respondents, consisting of career professionals and employees across Nigerian owned companies and multinationals.
Top 5 by Sector:
Energy (Oil & Gas etc)
Financial Institutions (Bans etc)
- Union Bank
- Access Bank
Consumer Goods (FMCG)
- Nigerian Breweries
- Procter & Gamble
Below is an infographic highlighting the industries and companies that made the 2018 list:
- Men and women are almost as satisfied with their current place of work; 63% men while 61% women.
- There are more women in entry–level positions, while more men with a slightly greater percentage occupy mid and senior-level positions.
- There is a greater percentage of men in the higher salary bracket while there is a greater percentage of women in the lower salary bracket.
- Men are also less willing at 24% to stay at their current place of employment than women at 34%.
- Most entrepreneurs are over 40 years of age.
- Pay is the most important factor for the younger demographic, closely followed by proximity to home.
- Employees in more senior-level positions rate their companies lower; however, they are not as willing to leave as the entry-level employees, who have a higher flight risk.
- On job satisfaction, business owners are looking for flexible working conditions and an opportunity for societal impact as their two top factors.
- Entry to Senior level employees both seek the same two top traits, pay and proximity to home, although the order changes from pay to proximity as the levels go higher.
Respondents were categorized into two broad sections – internal and external. Both categories capture employed respondents on the premise who provide an accurate view of the metrics used in the ranking of the Best 100 Companies to Work For in Nigeria. Internal respondents are employees who work within an organization while external respondents refer to employed respondents who have moved on to other organizations.
The key parameters for classification of respondents are highlighted below:
- Gender & Age
- Experience Level
- Salary Level
- Years of Experience
- Job Satisfaction
The major work parameters responsible for the satisfaction ratings, as indicated above were centered primarily on Monthly Salary, Work-life Balance, Career Growth and Advancement, Welfare Benefits and Job Security according to their order of importance to employees and career professionals.
How to Rank as Best 100 Companies To Work…
Employers seeking to optimize their employee engagement strategy should consider the following as suggested by respondents:
- Invest in Employer Branding: Your organization’s branding should be positioned to give employees a sense of pride and recognition. This helps employee associate themselves proudly with the brand.
- Invest in a Healthy Culture: Create or rebrand your employee engagement strategy to benefit both employee and organization; a win-win. As seen from respondents this plays a huge role in reducing churn rates and motivating employees. Create such an environment and involve your employees in shaping the company culture.
- Ensure Competitive Benefits Packages: Beyond paying a good salary, rethink what other benefits or perks that could ensure lower churn rate such as training opportunities, career advancement, work-life balance, and work mobility.
- Encourage diversity and inclusion: Your organization should ensure diversity across gender, tribe, academic institutions in the workplace. Being skilled and qualified should trump all.
Congratulations to all 100 companies who made our Best 100 Companies to Work For Nigeria 2018.
For more detailed insights into Jobberman Best 100 Companies To Work Nigeria 2018, download your copy of the full report here.