Contrary to the trending story in some online media, Brand Spur Nigeria reports that the Godwin Emefiele, the CBN governor is still very much on his desk without the threat of a sack.
In the last few hours, the rumour oozed from the winds that the CBN governor had been relieved of his lofty post but the head of corporate communications of the Central Bank, Osita Nwanisiobi has denied the report, says its not true.
Brand Spur Nigeria also understands that according to the CBN’s Act of 2007, the President must gets 2/3rd support of the senate for a CBN Governor to be removed.
Therefore, sacking the CBN Governor suddenly is against the rule of law.
In the same vein, former presidential aide and social-political activist, Reno Omokri has commented on the repoted sack of the CBN Governor.
He said, “I spoke to a very top shot in the CBN about the news that Buhari sacked CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele. His response ‘as far as I know, it is false’.
“I was against Emefiele running and retaining his post. But dont celebrate the downfall of a man God has not fallen”.
I spoke to a very top shot in the CBN about the news that Buhari sacked CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele. His response ‘as far as I know, it is false’.
I was against Emefiele running and retaining his post. But dont celebrate the downfall of a man God has not fallen #TableShaker
— Reno Omokri (@renoomokri) May 25, 2022
Meanwhile, the CBN Governor who is currently in Davos, Switzerland for the World Economic Forum has been under pressure since he declared interest for running for president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Brand Spur Nigeria recalls that Godwin Emefiele had approached the court seeking a restrain of the Attorney General of the Federation and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from hindering him from running for the office of the president.
The judge granted the order following an ex-parte motion filed by one Nkwo Augustine Eddiego against the AGF and INEC seeking an order to restrain the defendants.
However, sources indicate the Presidency was unhappy with the moves chiding him for taking INEC to court for a matter that was not in contention.
The CBN Governor has since withdrawn the suit against INEC and Attorney General from restraining him from contesting for President.