The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF) have launched the TEF – UNDP Youth Entrepreneurship
This Programme is borne out of the Foundation’s tried and tested approach to philanthropy which prioritises African entrepreneurs as the key enablers of economic development.
The first phase of this partnership titled the “TEF-UNDP Sahel Youth Entrepreneurship Programme” will be implemented this year (2019) and will empower 2,000 entrepreneurs from the following countries in the Sahel and Lake Chad region: Burkina Faso, Cameroun, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, and Nigeria.
We have prepared responses to your “Frequently Asked Questions” (FAQs) for additional clarification:
1. What is the TEF-UNDP Youth Entrepreneurship Programme?
The TEF-UNDP Youth Entrepreneurship Programme is a partnership between the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF) to empower 100,000 additional entrepreneurs over 10 years from across the African continent.
2. Is this different from the ongoing Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme launched in 2015?
Yes, it is different. The Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF) Entrepreneurship Programme is the Foundation’s US$100m flagship initiative launched in 2015 to mentor, train and fund 10,000 African entrepreneurs over 10 years. This Programme is currently in its fifth year and has empowered over 7,500 entrepreneurs across all 54 African countries to date.
3. For the pilot phase of the TEF-UNDP Partnership titled “UNDP-TEF Sahel Youth Entrepreneurship Programme” what are the criteria for applying?
You must be an African entrepreneur residing in any of these listed countries in the Sahel and Lake Chad region: Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Cameroun, Mauritania, Mali and Burkina Faso. Your business must not be more than 3yearsinexistence. Businesses at the idea/concept stage are also encouraged.
4. Is eligibility for subsequent years going to be the same as 2019?
No. The focus on Sahel countries is only for the pilot phase where an initial group of 2,000 entrepreneurs from the Sahel and Lake Chad region will be empowered.
5. Can I apply if I am a previous beneficiary of the TEF Entrepreneurship Programme?
No, you cannot apply if you have been a beneficiary of the TEF Entrepreneurship Programme. This is open to
entrepreneurswho have not been beneficiaries of our entrepreneurship programme.
6. What will African entrepreneurs gain from the Programme?
African entrepreneurs will gainnon-refundable seed capital, access to a 12-week business training and mentoring. They will also receive visibility and numerous business networking opportunities.
7. When is the application deadline for the 2019 application window?
The deadline for the 2019 applications is August 5, 2019.
8. Where can entrepreneurs apply?
The applications will be run on TEFConnect, the largest digital networking platform for African entrepreneurs.
Interested entrepreneurs can apply on www.tefconnect.com or visit the nearest United Bank for Africa (UBA) branch in your country.
9. Where can I find out more information?
Visit TEF website: www.